A quick guide in protecting our skin from the sun! A must read for everyone!
Sun exposure speeds up the aging process by damaging DNA, which may deform cells, contributing to cancer. We often apply sunscreen to children first, then monitor their sun exposure, redness, and play-time, leaving ourselves unprotected and victims to environmental factors like UVB and UVA rays, which can cause immediate sunburn and long-term damage to our skin.
Starting today, care for yourself as well, apply sunscreen to your face, neck, chest, hands, feet, and all over the body. Stay in the shade if possible, use hats and sunglasses, protect yourself, stop the premature aging process now!
According to studies, a regular T-shirt has only an SPF ranging from 3 to 7? Did you know eyelids and the top of your ears are in danger of sunburn as well? When shopping for sunscreen products choose an SPF of 30 or greater, depending on exposure and activity. Look for products with UVA and UVB protection containing Parson.
Top 10 Sunscreens
1. Hawaiian Tropic Sheer Touch Lotion SPF 30
2. Banana Boat Sport Performance Continuous Spray SPF 50
3. Coppertone Water Babies Sunscreen Stick SPF 55
4. Neutrogena Spectrum + Advanced Sunblock Face SPF 100
5. Burt’s Bees Chemical-Free Sunscreen SPF 30
6. Aveeno Sunblock Spray SPF 70
7. Peter Thomas Roth Max All Day Moisture Defense Cream SPF 30
8. Murad Waterproof Sunblock SPF 30
9. Cellex-C Suncare SPF 30
10. Cosmedicine Global Health Face SPF 30 UVA/UVB Sunscreen
Protect, nourish, and cherish your skin, reapply sunscreen regularly; keep yourself and loved ones looking beautiful, healthy, and young by preventing skin damage or cancer.
Thank you for reading, have a GREAT 4th of July and celebrate the men and women fighting for our country! As always, “Pass the Blog”!
© Anna L. and A Blissful Skin, 2010. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from this blog’s author and/or owner is strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to Anna L. and A Blissful Skin with appropriate and specific direction to the original content.
Summer is fast approaching, vacation time, beach days are around the corner, what are we missing? SUN PROTECTION!
Studies have shown ultraviolet light is the most important factor in skin ageing, the effects have been underestimated and fail to surface for decades. Sunburns or long exposure to the sun unprotected, may cause premature wrinkles, loss of collagen, sagging, rougher stratum corneum, tougher epidermis, loss of elasticity, age spots, spider veins, creates free radicals and causes the release of heat shock proteins which break down connective tissues, leading to an increased risk of cancer lesions (just to name a few problems). Why not protect our beautiful skin from sun damage every day?
- Sunburns are painful, they take up to 8 hours to become visible.
- The painful side effects peak 24 hours later.
- For the sunburn to subside, it will take up to 2 days.
Here are a few sun safety tips:
- Sunscreen, apply 30 minutes before sun exposure
- Wear protective clothing such as hats, glasses, and t-shirts if very hot and sunny
- Seek shade between the hours of 11am – 3pm (perfect time for lunch and rest)
Remember, it is never too late to start sun protection, recent studies have shown the skin has an excellent recuperative mechanism and may be able to undo some of the damage, however it is up to each one of us to prevent further damage by protecting it every day.
As always, thank you for reading!